Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Help! I'm less than half sentient

Watching the 10 pm BBC news tonight, there just wasn't any time for factual reporting amongst the editorialising and pro-Hesbollah propaganda. Nick Robinson obviously loves them so much he got a bit carried away. He said, and I quote verbatim "...only the less than half-sentient would not want an immediate ceasefire" (in Lebanon). I don't want a ceasefire, ergo I am less than half sentient. I was always told by my mum that as soon as you start insulting those with opposing opinions you've lost the argument.
The argument for no ceasefire is perfectly valid and logical. Israel have fought Hesbollah intermittently for the last 24 years. They are now determined to not spend 24 more years doing so, and are going about the indubitably difficult task of destroying Hesbollah root and branch. Why would they stop in the middle of doing that so poncy western diplomats can have a group hug? I find the arguments FOR a ceasefire weak and mainly misguided. The first and most important effect of a ceasefire would be a precious window of opportunity for Hesbollah to re-arm, get wounds treated and re-organise. Why would Israel give them that gift?
But what do I know, I'm less than half-sentient.

No comments: