Sunday, February 07, 2010

Are you sure that is science you're doing?

'Specifically, what’s fascinating to Brown and Buie is the tremendous amount of change that has been observed on Pluto, particularly between images obtained in 1994 and 2003. Based on the new processing of the photos, there has been more change on Pluto than Earth or Mars.

“You’re looking at the surface in the solar system where there are the biggest changes we’ve ever seen,” Brown said.

The color of the surface of Pluto changed so markedly, particularly between 2000 and 2002, that Buie has spent years checking and rechecking his work, just to make sure the differences weren’t an artifact of faulty equipment or calculations.

“I got that result years ago but it’s just so hard to understand and believe that I’ve been checking everything that I can think of,” he said. “I’m still nervous about it. It could be that I’ve just completely screwed this up, but I can’t find where.”'

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/02/best-view-yet-of-pluto-shows-rapidly-changing-surface/#ixzz0eoQlwitv

See, now, that is how I imagine scientists talking. Doubting everything, self-deprecating, constantly on the lookout for the unexpected and not forcing any theory onto the discovered. But I must be wrong- millions of armchair global-warmists insist I'm wrong! And they insist that science is all about forming little cabals, lying, hiding data, stitching up 'peer review journals', manipulating findings that don't meet preconcieved notions, launching media blitzes against 'deniers', reprocessing and reprocessing data until it says what you need it to say, that sort of thing.

Boy, am I naive!

No comments: