Thursday, February 07, 2008

Rowan Williams: I'm an idiot of almost unprecedented idiocy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7233335.stm

"Complete Collapse and extinction of the Anglican Church Unavoidable" Says Archbishop of Canterbury. "But its OK because being a Muslim is much better".

Ok, I may have made that up, but his actual comments are, if anything, more bizarre.

"Dr Rowan Williams told Radio 4's World at One the UK had to "face up to the fact" that some of its citizens do not relate to the British legal system. He said adopting parts of Islamic Sharia law could help social cohesion. For example, Muslims could choose to have marital disputes or financial matters dealt with in a Sharia court."

Er, call me an idiot but how does that help COHESION? Having a chunk of our population using its own laws while the majority plod along with British law will ALIENATE the minority from the majority and vice versa. Or is that just too obvious for Rowan Atkinson Williams?

Up until this point in my life, I've been happy to waffle along calling myself an Anglican (as a sort of default Christianity) but I will not be doing so from here on out. So I guess its back to the Church of Rome...

No comments: