Thursday, May 03, 2007

Still wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6618075.stm

'Insurgents in Iraq are right to try to force US troops out of the country, a former British army commander has said.
Gen Sir Michael Rose also told the BBC's Newsnight programme that the US and the UK must "admit defeat" and stop fighting "a hopeless war" in Iraq.
Iraqi insurgents would not give in, he said. "I don't excuse them for some of the terrible things they do, but I do understand why they are resisting."
The total number of UK troops killed in operations in Iraq stands at 147.'

My well of righteous indignation has run dry. I am trying to summon up some sort of rage or disdain for this man and his words but we are too far down the road with Iraq and the multitudinous idiocies it has spawned in political debate for me to generate much of anything. He is factually and demonstrably wrong, and given his former high position many people will pay attention to his words. But although he is more thoughtful and elegant in his presentation, a bad historical analogy is a bad historical analogy. I'll leave it at that.

No comments: