Friday, April 14, 2006

We are all Americans now

If I said this:

"I would agree that in general Pakistanis are a loathsome, naive, petulant bunch, but then the fact that we in Britain allow ourselves to be so influenced by them makes us 10 times worse."

How much would you wager me that I could get that comment posted by the BBC on any part of their website? $50,000?

Second case.

"I would agree that in general Americans are a loathsome, naive, petulant bunch, but then the fact that we in Britain allow ourselves to be so influenced by them makes us 10 times worse." Craig Eastman, Liverpool, UK

This comes from this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm story on the BBC website, the first time I've ever seen a story about Anti-Americanism. There is NO WAY you could get away with talking about any other nations citizens like that on the BBC. I'm not going to call it racism, because there is no American race. America is a fantastic amalgam of races. However, it IS hostile beyond anything acceptable in public discourse. If its good enough for the Pakistanis, its good enough for the Americans.

Don't expect a great upsurge of sympathy though- most Britons are now incorrigably anti-US and the problem is getting much worse. But I would recommend that Americans:

1) avoid vacationing in Britain
2) avoid buying British products
3) publicise any antagonism and hostility they meet if they do come here as widely as possible

Collective action can go both ways!

No comments: