Saturday, February 06, 2010

Wilful disregard for what people say

"And it may be that ... if Congress decides we're not going to do it [health care reform], even after all the facts are laid out, all the options are clear, then the American people can make a judgment as to whether this Congress has done the right thing for them or not," the president said. "And that's how democracy works. There will be elections coming up and they'll be able to make a determination and register their concerns one way or the other during election time." [Hat Tip: Instapundit]

The case being made by this post is that AP have finally got around to realising that Obama constantly contradicts himself. My alternative point, if you take this paragraph, which is a direct quote from an Obama speech, is probably more disturbing.

When Obama was elected president, he chose, against all known facts about the nature and mental habits of the American electorate, to construe it as a mandate for the socialist agenda dear to the Obama soul. Not as a mandate for the thin gruel hopey-changey bullshit which was the sum total of what Obama offered the electorate during his campaign. That choice was an abuse, a purposeful, deliberate misconstrual of the true intent of most of those 68,000,000 votes.

How do we know that? Because apart from the hard core 20% who are socialists, the other 80% of those who voted for Obama are increasingly distancing themselves from his agenda. They drank too much cool-aid to dump Obama himself, who apparently they still love, but they are polling against and voting against his policies in ever-increasing throngs.

So let us go back to the original quote. What is Obama saying? Let us present two facts-

1. After the Massachussets Senate election was won by Republican Scott Brown, Obama said 'This election result shows people are very angry. Angry about what has happened this last year, but also in the last eight years.'

2. He is now saying in this quote that the 2010 'midterm' elections are an opportunity for the electorate to punish senators and congressmen for not voting through health care reform.

This is a consistent pattern of behaviour. No matter how clearly the American people, most especially the Tea Party folks, say they want less government, less regulation, balanced public books, less public debt and less government interference in the basic activities of public life, Obama will not hear them. He has his fingers in his ears, going la-la-la.

If they vote out large numbers of Democrats in November, it won't be punishment for their fiscal insobriety- no no. It will be because they couldn't get it together to pass Obamas socialist agenda.

That much denial of reality in a president is deeply, deeply disturbing. Has a US president ever been impeached for mental illness? There could be a first...

No comments: