Thursday, January 04, 2007

America Alone- new review

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=5924

An excellent review of Mark Steyns recent book "America Alone: The End of the World as we Know It". And a conclusion that I agree with wholeheartedly. My job entails sitting in the virtual epicentre of the vanguard of the 'tentative post-nationalist cringingly apologetic European identity'. I hear every day their nullities and their pious amorality, their barbaric and crude take on the most important aspects of life, and their dedication to self-pleasure and swingeing hatred of duty and sacrifice. They abhor religion- although strangely Christianity is always the butt of their 'satire' rather than Islam- except bizarre cults and satan worship.

When I was about 11, I read the "Just William" books, just like huge swathes of the rest of my generation. It is only now, looking back, that I see the roots of this post-European identity in Williams elder sister. Not just her! But her generation. Weird, but true. She was extremely cynical about life, cared not a jot about her parents, lived to party, and scorned the religious. She felt that those older than her were 'stuffy', which I now understand to mean 'rooted in a genuine tradition'. I don't know when people like that reached a critical mass in Britain, but if some countervailing force does not emerge soon, all English and British culture will decay to nothing, to be replaced by this dreary modishness which has no concern for the elderly, no concern for children, no moral imperative beyond the self, and no idea how to keep individuals bound within a viable society. There will be freedom, certainly. The kind of freedom available on islands run by brigands and pirates.

And unlike the "Pirates of the Caribbean", real pirates were bestial, greedy psychopaths who often murdered for pleasure. But then, I guess if they enjoyed it, it must be ok. Right?

No comments: